Want to see Latin music legend Eddie Palmieri at Tri-C JazzFest this year? Now This Sound Is Brave has two tickets to give away. Continue reading
- …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead and The Coathangers have teamed up as Thee Deadcoats to cover Pussy Riot’s “Putin Lights Up the Fires”. Proceeds will be split between the funding of Pussy Riot’s legal defense and the American Red Cross Sandy relief effort.
- Classic 1981 concert film “Urgh! A Music War” is available to view in full on YouTube.
- BBC Radio Four’s “Mastertapes” is available as a podcast (meaning non-Brits can listen without any country restrictions). “Mastertapes” is an interview, audience Q&A and performance show, and programs posted so far have featured Billy Bragg, Suzanne Vega, and Paul Weller.
- Richard Hell is publishing an autobiography called I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp in March of 2013. The book can be pre-ordered at Amazon. There is a review of Chapter 28, which was released as a chap book, at We Who Are About to Die.
- While most of the output from new Cleveland radio station 87.7 is pretty bland, the station is now the new home of Cleveland-centric showcase Inner Sanctum on Sunday nights from 9 to 11 p.m. Cleveland … Continue reading
It’s coming back! They showed ’em it could still be done, last summer in Cleveland, spawning the Year of Deep Blues this year with the return of the original DBF in Minnesota last month and DBF Northwest coming up early next month. And Cleveland will be doing it again this year, with another great line-up.
Favorites will return from last year, like Scissormen, Ten Foot Polecats, and the incomparable Molly Gene One Whoaman Band. And new don’t-miss acts are on the slate for this year, like Husky Burnette, the uniquely entertaining Bob Log III, and the great Robert Belfour. Damn!
Here’s the info:
Saturday September 22 2012
THE BEACHLAND BALLROOM
15711 Waterloo Road, Cleveland, Ohio
$20/all ages/5pm EST start/4pm EST doors
BOB LOG III
TEN FOOT POLECATS
MOLLY GENE ONE WHOAMAN BAND
THE BLUE TREADS
THE MISERY JACKALS
Oh, I’ve been waiting for this one. The sardonic Mr. Daniel Knox is bringing his unsettling cabaret songs to the Beachland Ballroom this Wednesday, April 11, when he opens for the Traveling Ladies’ Cello Society, a.k.a., Rasputina.
I was taken by Knox’s rockbottom warble and dancehall piano (and kazoo – don’t forget the kazoo) when I first heard him play Couch by Couchwest back in 2011. He graced the stage again at CXCW this year with a magical rendering of his ethereally menacing “Ghostsong”.
Incidentally, in addition to great albums like Evryman for Himself, Disaster, etc., Daniel has a new single – “To Make You Stay” (with the return of Akron son Ralph Carney on saxophone) b/w “Blue Car” – available at Bandcamp.
Wed, Apr 11 | 8:30 PM (7:30 PM door)
$15.00 adv / $17.00 dos
Ballroom | All Ages
You can also catch Daniel with Rasputina at these dates:
04.06.12 Buffalo, NY The Tralf Music Hall
… Continue reading