- Our friends the Famous get a little love with a KFOG profile.
- Tickets for Daytrotter’s Barn on the 4th of July show are on sale now. There is a top secret headliner they’re keeping under wraps, but the announced bands are already provide more than enough excitement: Justin Townes Earle, Dawes, Johnny Corndawg and Young Man.
- Maximum Balloon is the new project from TV on the Radio’s Dave Sitek, and you can hear the song “Tiger” at the Maximum Balloon website.
- Pitchfork reports that Alan Moore is now out of the Gorillaz opera project due to scheduling discrepancies. Update: It seems “scheduling discrepancies” was a euphemism for “You didn’t scratch my back, so I’m not scratching yours”.
- If you’re in the Brooklyn area Friday, you should go to the Suckers’ record release party. You really should.
- The Flaming Lips have a video for badass tune “The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine”. So. Much. Blood.
- The Black Keys do some live in-studio performances and an interview for the Interface at Spinner. Putting TBK in an antiseptic studio … Continue reading
- Because it’s Cadillac Sky Week here at NTSIB, we have to kick this off by reminding you that their excellent album Letters in the Deep is available NOW. Get it.
- Hypetrak has a Big Boi song for you to hear and enjoy that re-teams BB with Andre 3000, along with Dungeon Family cohort Sleepy Brown, but which may not appear on Big Boi’s solo joint coming next month due to apparent record label bullshit.
- Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell are teaming up yet again. Their third collaboration, Hawk, will be released on August 24 with U.S. tour dates in the works.
- At the time of this writing, there are 18 hours left to help fund the Juniper Tar tour documentary. They have some pretty nifty reward levels, including a private house concert for big-bucks donors in the Milwaukee area.
- Aquarium Drunkard’s forthcoming (June 22) digital compilation, L’Aventure, a collection of covers from Television’s album Adventure will feature Local Natives doing “Careful”. Hear it here.
- Lou Barlow has recorded an EP with the missingmen, =Sentridoh III, and Pitchfork has the sweet track “Losercore” … Continue reading
Local Natives (in-store performance at Music Saves)
Cards & Quarters
I may be a big puss and a little too easily affected by music, but as soon as Local Natives broke into their trademark harmonizing at the beginning of their Music Saves pre-gig in-store performance, I felt a little moisture trying to escape from my face. I wasn’t crying – just… leaking a little awe.
This was quite a turnaround considering it hadn’t been that long ago that I was finding myself unable to get into the Local Natives groove (it was that backyard SXSW performance captured by Yours Truly that finally got me to tap in). Lucky for me that there’s no expiration date on good music.
It struck me that Local Natives’ performance was almost the antithesis of the Felice Brothers’ performance I had just experienced the night before. I am a big fan of slopping, emotional music, which the Felice Brothers are pros at creating, but there is certainly something to be said for the ability of a band like … Continue reading