Our old friends Hell and Half of Georgia just dropped this new little tune, and I think it’s the best they’ve done yet.
Build It Up by Hell and Half of Georgia
Listen, love, download – because as with all Hell and Half of Georgia’s musical fare, it’s free. If you’re in the Long Beach, California, area, you can catch the guys live at Alex’s Bar on August 26 (showtime to be determined).
I’m going to listen to this song again right now.
Hell and Half of Georgia Official Site
Hell and Half of Georgia @ Bandcamp
Hell and Half of Georgia @ Facebook
- Shows! Hell and Half of Georgia will be playing a free show in Long Beach, California tomorrow, 12.29.10. On the other side of the country on the same day, the Avett Brothers, the Low Anthem and Bombadil will be playing a benefit show in Carrboro, North Carolina – tickets go on sale at 10:00 AM EST today, 12.28.10. (The Avett/Anthem/Bombadil benefit show sold out within the first hour.) Conrad Plymouth will play a New Year’s Eve show with Ian Olvera and the Sleepwalkers and Laarks at Linneman’s in Milkwaukee, Wisconsin.
- The Twilight Singers have made another track, “On the Corner”, from the upcoming album Dynamite Steps available for free download.
- And the news I’m personally most excited about right now is the impending release of Cure for Pain: The Mark Sandman Story. The singer/bass player/avant-instrumentalist for Morphine was and is a huge influence on me, and I’m very much looking forward to this documentary, which will be hitting the festival circuit in 2011. Check out the trailer below, and find more video clips at the Gatling Pictures website.
Cure for Pain: The Mark Sandman … Continue reading
Good friend to NTSIB Sean Fahlen has been promising us new Hell and Half of Georgia tunes for a while now. In early spring, he let us know that a gig mix-up would result in some new song recording, so we eagerly waited. And waited some more. Then we forgot about it for a while. Then we remembered. And waited some more.
Then, in a virtual ambush, he dropped a spankin’ new EP on us yesterday.
“first recordings with th full band,” Sean told us. “put down basic tracks in one day, then th Capt. fucked up his back pullin up an anchor, got laid out perty bad. pieced it together hour by hour from there. what shoulda took 3days lasted 3month. it’s been a slow summer…”
While Men Destined to Hang Cain’t Drown was a more democratically-produced effort for HaHog, it finds their sound more cohesive. A shiny thread of honky tonk glitters brightly throughout, aided greatly by some beautiful lap steel. And don’t forget ol’ Captain Ed Brady.
“th Capt. has become absolutely indispensable, this band could … Continue reading
- Our friends Hell and Half of Georgia are playing the ag fair circuit again, sandwiched between cow milking demonstrations and… fried butter?
- The Flaming Lips blew the roof off at Letterman. Check it.
And unlike the protagonist in Dan Auerbach’s awesome song, “Keep It Hid”, we can say where.
Jennifer and I and our longtime friend, writer Cameron Rogers, will be hitting the road to Oxford, Mississippi, tomorrow. As we’ll be out seeing the sites, maybe catching a show, hitting the Blues Archive at Ole Miss, the Delta Blues Museum, Graceland Too (heaven help us), Square Books (perhaps we’ll score a Dent May siting) and who knows what else (as well as catching the Felice Brothers at Lebowski Fest on the way home), we’ll be on hiatus until after our return on the 17th.
Before we go, though, we’d like to let you know that NSTIB buddies Hell and Half of Georgia will be playing a couple of gigs at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, California, this month. One on July 17 at 5:00 p.m. on the Meadows Stage and another on July 30 with details to be announced.
Now, Dan Auerbach and the Fast Five will take us out. Take care. We love you. See … Continue reading
Updated information about the Hell and Half of Georgia show we posted about a couple of weeks ago: Just had word from Sean, and the bad news is that, due to shenanigans and chicanery, the show is cancelled. But the good news is that they’ll be using the time to record a couple of new songs.