The XXX movement is moving ahead and gaining steam. The project, spearheaded by Shooter Jennings, aims to promote and provide a support network for music that is “too rock for country, too country for rock”, music that is often invisible to the eye of the larger public because the bigger record labels and radio stations find it too difficult to pigeonhole.
Following up on last month’s Southern Independent, Vol. 1 compilation, the crew at Give Me My XXX have dropped their second volume today (with slots for the Vol. 3 dance card already filling up). Check out the track list below – a nice mix of artists you already know and love together with new artists that will become future old favorites.
1. Honky Tonk Carnie / Lonewolf OMB
2. Devil in New Orleans / Powder Mill
3. Quittin’ Time / Joecephus and the George Jonestown Massacre
4. Codeine / Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
5. I Like The Way / The Imperial Rooster
6. Whatever Kills Me First / Joey Allcorn
7. Chevy Beretta / Jonny Corndawg
8. Santa Monica / John Carter Cash
9. Sweet Delta Water / Black Oak Arkansas
10. Down and Out / Honky Tonk Hustlas
11. Canteen Full of Dreams / Roger Alan Wade
12. I Ain’t Drunk / Whitey Morgan and the 78’s
13. Hear The Hills / North Mississippi Allstars
14. Hootchie Kootchie Man / Jerry McGill (recorded at Sun Studio, this previously unreleased track includes Waylon Jennings on guitar, Jim Dickerson on keys, Ritchie Albright on drums and the Memphis Horns)
To get the comp, all you have to do is register an account at Give Me My XXX. Nice and easy. If you need a little more appetite whetting, check out the videos for some select tracks below.