I began writing in earnest at age 10. My first story was a half-page tale for English class, and the plot, such as it was, told of two girls who started a band one day after synthesizers rained from the sky.
Some things never change.
I’m participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) for the fourth year in a row, and there’s still a lot of music in my writing. There may even be women starting a band involved. It’s going well this year, and I may even achieve the 50,000 word goal this year. Please excuse me while I try to get Amii Stewart’s cover of “Knock on Wood” out of my head now.
To celebrate a steady start, here’s a mix of songs that have been inspirational to me and my characters so far.
- The Black Keys – “Here I Am, Here I Always Am” (Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band cover)
- The Black Keys- “Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles” (Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band cover)
- minutemen – “Jesus and Tequila” (live, Miami Beach, 8.2.84)
- HotChaCha – “Bukarest”
- Rocket from the Tombs – “30 Seconds Over Tokyo”
- Drive-By Trucker – “This Fucking Job”
- Barnburners – “Take Five” (Hound Dog Taylor cover)
- Barnburners – “Back to Georgia” (originally recorded by Timmy Shaw)
- The Violent Femmes – “American Music”